Monday, November 25, 2013

some daily scent, featuring Hokkabaz

Monday:  No perfume, but I scented the house with some incense.  Years and years ago, I bought some Place du Primeur - Greengrocer Square incense cones from Terre d'Oc  at World Market and I really liked it.  I still really like it.  Unfortunately they don't make these anymore, from what I have gleaned from a little on-line research.  I'm happy that I still have a few cones left.

Tuesday:  Annick Goutal Mandragore.  I actually picked the wrong bottle - I had wanted to wear Encens Flamboyant since I was running a fever and had to get to work (the downfall of working hourly and seasonal - no sick days).  But Mandragore worked very well, and I got through the day.



Wednesday:  Need more warmth!  Still not feeling 100% but I did have the day off.  I have been testing Esscentual Alchemy's Hokkabaz for awhile now, and every time I wear it, I love it even more.  It is a warm, enveloping perfume, Amanda Feeley's take on Guerlain's discontinued Djedi. As she writes on her website:  "It is dry, dusty, bitter and eerie.  Not for the faint of heart."   And I agree.  It's a thick and heady scent, with motes of light dusted through.   The notes include rose, vetiver, oakmoss, leather accord, civt, patchouli, antique mysore sandalwood, clove, vanilla, orris, calamus, and embalming spices accord.

As I have never sniffed Djedi,  I don't have any thoughts about comparisons or references.  But I do feel that I am transported with Hokkabaz. I flit between the images that came to mind when I read the books The Egyptologist and All the Pretty Horses (the book NOT the film!).  

For more reviews of this captivating earthy fragrance:  
Musette / Perfume Posse

 (Disclaimer: Amanda sent me the sample, but all opinions are my own - as usual! - and 
I was not compensated for this review.)

Thursday:  Annick Goutal  Encens Flamboyant !

Friday:  Bond No. 9 Chinatown.

(It's Monday again - oops I meant to post this on Sunday!)

8 comments:

  1. Mandragore is turning up everywhere for me this week. It's such a nice fragrance for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Natalie: It really does fit well with this season! Happy holiday to you and yours!

      Delete
  2. I hope you're feeling better for holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Undina! I am feeling much better. Going to my son's for dinner tomorrow - looking so forward to it. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

      Delete
  3. I am not sure the scent would be for me, but Hokkabaz is a great name. I do sympathise with you having to work whlist ill - I did that for a couple of weeks last month and think it is still catching up with me. Happy Thanksgiving (though am a bit late with my greeting!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bonks and thank you! I had a wonderful T-giving this year. Working while ill is not a good thing - sorry you had to deal with that, too. xox

      Delete
  4. Anything that comes close to Djedi sounds good to me. And has anyone ever come across it?
    Sorry to hear about the cold-hope you're over it, cold and work at the same time is hard lines, and so is retail work at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello BA - I'm hoping that i come across it at some point in my life, that's for sure. Yeah, I actually had a fever that day - blergh - but I trudged on. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.