Wednesday, May 15, 2013

a quick post - tomato seedlings and hair

Oh I am so busy - so please excuse the very sporadic and odd posts!

You know what perfume smells good when you're spending hours re-potting tomato seedlings?  Hermes Un Jardin Apres La Mousson.  Really good.  Really really good.  This may be my to-go perfume for the warmer days in the garden nursery (Chanel 31 Rue Cambon was perfect during the colder days).

Now onto hair:

My hair is the longest it has been in over 20 years, so I'm trying to find ways to tame it and keep it in place, especially when I'm, umm, re-potting tomatoes.

Been knitting up a bunch of cotton headbands - check out my other blog for a photo of a couple of them.  They help with the wispy grey strands surrounding my face.  I wear my hair in bun, or two buns at the nape of my neck, or sometimes a ponytail.  Sometimes braids.

When doing the bun thing, I realize that I do not like regular hairpins.  They don't work in my hair. I can put four hundred in, and my hair falls out within an hour.

And then, and THEN, I found these lovely pins! Good Hair Days Magic-Grip Hairpins. I'm in heaven.  I bought them at a local Sally's - and from what I have found, they do have the best price, too. I cup-squeeze (cup my hand around the bun thing and squeeze so that the pins are tight) a couple of times during the day but other than that, my hair will stay pretty darned bun-y throughout the entire workday!

I normally don't talk about beauty or hair products, but these are so terrific I had to talk about them.

(photo very blurry - it's difficult taking a photo of oneself from the side/back!)

10 comments:

  1. Hi Carol. Are the seedlings big enough that when you touch them, you smell like tomato leaf?

    We had a hard frost here a couple days ago, and even though I brought a bunch of my plants in under the shelter of our car port, the low temps got a few of my coleuses. Now the temperatures have soared again, so hopefully no more frosts.

    By the way, I love that picture of you! The artistic angle, the black-and-white, and the femininity of your neck. Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Suzanne!! Yes, they are - the tomato leaf smell, along with the wet potting soil, and the Hermes is amazing!!!

      We had two days of nearly frost - fortunately, all the tomatoes survived (many were in the greenhouse, the others were covered up). Yes, hopefully no more frosts - I think we're in the clear now!

      Thanks for the compliment re: the photo - my neck is about the slimmest thing on me these days! ;) Though with my jobs, I have lost nearly 7 lbs in a month! yay!

      Delete
    2. Did you know that Givaudin (not sure if I spelled that right...) sells a reconstruction of tomato leaf smell for perfumers? I personally love the scent of tomato leaves, but some people hate it, so it would be a hard one to work with, but it seems like it would work nice in a summery, green scent.

      Delete
    3. Laurie, I would love to see what you come up with!! Let me know.

      Delete
  2. I like the cotton headbands! I might have to whip one of those up, as I struggle to find headbands that don't give me a headache (and they are so useful for holding back hair while cleaning and working out, for example). Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello Natalie! It is hard to find hair accessories that don't give me a headache, too. These work really well for me. Enjoy and you're welcome!

      Delete
  3. Hey, Carol,

    Would you believe I was given a tomato plant cutting by a friend, together with dill and nasturtium, and they are all coming along just fine on the windowsill under the watchful leaf of my lemon-scented geranium, which is now a monster. :-0

    Love the headbands over on your other blog, and agree with Suzanne that your awkwardly angled shot turned out very artistic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Bonks - ooh what variety of tomato!? Lemon-scented geraniums are marvelous. The rose scented ones, you'd think I would favor them, but they're tooo much for me.

      Thanks for the compliment re: the photo!!

      Delete
  4. I don't know if I've said this before, but I am incredibly impressed by your gardening/canning/drying/cooking thang. I spent May long weekend (uh, third Monday in May is a holiday in Canada) up at my parents' acreage, and was helping my Dad in the garden. Getting my hands in dirt felt so good, and once again I was coveting land to grow things in - my backyard is small, East-facing, and in the shade. I think this year I may attempt to do some container gardening on my balcony.

    As for the hair, mine is short because long hair is terribly unflattering on me. I kid you not, I look like a guy in drag when it's long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dionne!

      Thanks but truly it's because I have no kids at home! It's just me and the husband aka The Moth (and a few chickens, two cats, and a dog). I actually grew tomatoes in big pots a few years ago since I didn't take the time to get the soil ready in my yard; I had a good harvest too.

      And I doubt that you could ever look like a guy in drag! I'm not sure how long I'll keep the long hair (as I don't think it's flattering on me either, if I wear it down; doesn't look bad when it's pulled up) but I do want to try to grow it long enough to do a dutch braid around my head (or at least part way around my head)

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.