Friday, February 1, 2013

Two from Les Nereides, one L'Artisan, one Jacomo

As you may well know, I'm ga-ga over Les Nereides' Opoponax and Patchouli Antique.  I'm also super happy that this line is affordable which probably helps me love them more.

So I had to try their other two offerings on LuckyScent - Douceur de Vanille and Oriental Lumpur.

Douceur de Vanille.  This one is so goofy, that I have to love it. Vanilla, almond, and star aniseed (with some rose and a light dash of cocoa)   Soft plastic baby doll with vanilla infused baby powder smelling quirkiness.  I adore it.

Oriental Lumpur is a toned down, more earthy, and accessible version of the Diptyque L'Autre.   Notes of saffron, curry, nutmeg, sandalwood, vanilla and patchouli.  Four for four for me with Les Nereides!

Unfortunately, after the first smile I get from the orange in L'Artisan Seville a L'Aube, I then stand back and watch as the lavender and honeyed beeswax dance the tango.  Fascinating.  But not to my taste.  Not the tango (I like watching the tango), the perfume.  (is the tango Spanish, Cuban, Argentinian?)

Jacomo 08.  My first time trying a Jacomo.   I have been wearing this the past couple of days and I keep thinking "what does this remind me of?"  Finally, after perusing some reviews, I brought out my L'Artisan Tea for Two decant.  Yes, that's it!


12 comments:

  1. Interesting. When someone was kind enough to send me a sample of Tea for Two they also sent 08 along with it. Its like TfT without the super smokiness. I love TfT but I will be getting some of the 08 to console me when my discontinued favorite runs dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Discontinuations, reformulations and postal regulations - the banes of perfume lovers everywhere!

      Delete
  2. I still haven't tried anything from Les Nereides - I must remedy that. As for Seville a L'Aube, I too think the opening is the best thing about it, but fear to critique in case of a backlash from the long list of bloggers in love with it and its well-publicised creation. In fairness, it is quite complex and interesting, but not really me either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn the post offices for being unable to send samples to the UK! boo hisss!

      I'm not worried about backlash because I don't think many people read my blog anyway! ;) Plus you know me, I pretty much call them how I see/sniff them!

      Delete
    2. Amen to that. Actually my comment about the L'Artisan was slightly tongue in cheek. Your response to The Scented Hound was very true. If everyone was a fawning acolyte to a fragrance, that would do more harm than good.

      Delete
    3. and amen to that! I figured you were being tongue-in-cheek, Michael! :)

      Delete
  3. I have seen the Patchouli Antique on the Lucky Scent website and have read good things on Fragrantica. You just sold me and I just put it on my list of things to sample! As for the Seville...my review was one of the unfavorable ones... I just didn't get it at all. Very sour to me and biting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thin PA is my fav patch of all time (until something else comes along - I am so fickle!! hahaa)

      Reviews - I think it IS important that we write both positive and negative about perfumes we sample, and glad that you do, too. And just because I write a negative review doesn't mean it's a bad perfume - it just doesn't work for me. (I don't get it when people get upset when someone's review doesn't match with their thoughts about it)

      Delete
  4. I like your description of Douceur de Vanilla. Doesn't sound like something I'd wear, but it sounds as you said fun and quirky. Sometimes I surprise myself and really enjoy the doll-head vanilla scents.

    Agree with all you said above about negative reviews. I almost always fall into the trap of feeling badly when I am negative, but it's got to be said! Not everyone can love everything, and who would want to live in a scented world like that anyway?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Natalie! Glad that you understood what I meant by that doll head smell. I don't always like it, but in this one, it's quite charming.

      I understand feeling badly about negative reviews, and usually it is written in a way that the blogger just doesn't get it, or it doesn't work for them, etc. I agree, it has to be said!

      (I had written a much longer reply but decided to delete it because I think it would be a good opportunity for more conversation on another stand-alone post!).

      Delete
  5. Hmm, Oriental Lumpur sounds like a solid maybe to me!

    And you know I love Seville a L'Aube, so I am sorry the beeswax/lavender tango is a tangled mess on you. : - )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you love SaLA, and it makes perfect sense, knowing you. I have a hard time w/lavender and honey or whatever the beeswax note(s) are! OL is lovely - maybe a bit strong for you, but I'd love to hear what you think!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.