Tuesday, December 11, 2012

The first week in December scents (Miller Harris, Les Nereides, Guerlain)

What I wore (scent-wise) last week: (I had intended to post this on Sunday - sorry about that!)

Monday:  Miller Harris Note de Peau.*  I absolutely love it at first blush, but then after awhile, I get shaving cream.  Dagnabit!  According to Basenotes the notes are:  lemon, bergamot, tangerine, incense, myrrh, lavender, woods, tonka bean, amber, vanilla and heliotrope.   Check out Perfumed Letters' wonderful Paris post where Cheryl meets up with this scent for the first time.

Tuesday:  Miller Harris Un Petit Rien.*  So similar to my beloved L'Air de Rien that I don't understand why this one was launched.  Hmmm.  Katie Puckrik sniffs out the differences here.

Wednesday:  Les Nereides Patchouli Antique.  A total blind decant purchase - and I am beyond the moon!  Les Nereides is batting two for two in my book (as you know my head-over-heels love for their Opoponax).   Patchouli Antique is a thick, rich, dusty, musty, mildew-y patchouli. Basically it is exactly what you might imagine from the name.  Or what I imagined from its name.  Notes listed are Indonesian patchouli, vanilla and musk. At one point in the drydown, I get a whiff of rootbeer.   I'll be wearing a hell of a lot of this especially in cooler weather.

Thursday:  Miller Harris La Pluie.*   I actually have no idea why I like this one so much. Other bloggers have written that this is a wet floral, and I agree, and usually a description like that wouldn't even catch my attention, but La Pluie is different and interesting, and I'm really really happy I have a good-sized sample of it.  Maybe it's the mixture of citrus, wheat and ylang-ylang.

Friday:   Guerlain Angelique Noire - prompted by Cheryl suggesting it when I was sampling a bunch o' vanilla.   This is a grown-up beautiful vanilla that is almost too pretty for me.  Here's a lovely review by Elena at Perfume Shrine. I'll be savoring my tiny decant.


*thanks to Cheryl for the generous Miller Harris samples!

10 comments:

  1. Angelique Noire might be too pretty for you, but not for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. heee! Hey S! Some fragrances give me the 'fancy jewelry' vibe - which looks good on some people, but I'm not sure it works for me, plus I know I'd just lose it...if that makes any sense!

      Delete
  2. Carol, Patchouli Antique sounds like something I would like. I love a good patch!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdie Michael - I think you would really like it (see email!) And the best thing about Les Nereides is that they're quite reasonably priced!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad to see you are enjoying the samples. There's something touching about seeing photos of the little travelers here.

    Note de Peau may be too clean for the true L'Air de rien lover. Sometimes I actually prefer it, though.

    La Pluie doesn't get a lot of love- so glad you fell for it, too! I tried it on a hot day, after pounding city pavement for hours. In those conditions a spritz of just about any perfume is refreshing to the skin ( though not always to the nose). I didn't think of it as wet floral, despite its description and the evidence that so many others do. La Pluie wears dry, cool and bitter on my skin. Just wait until summer!
    Happy sampling,

    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot thank you enough! The NdP I'm going to play with a bit longer. Well actually all of them! And the LP - I was actually really shocked, happily, by how much it speaks to me. Will make sure I try it in the summer.

      Delete
  4. Oh good - I have wondered and wondered about Un Petit Rien, but never seen it anywhere, so now you have burst the bubble of curiosity for me. You have also reminded me to get out my Angelique Noire sample, which would be perfect for this cold snap we are having, and to try La Pluie again. It was a bit nondescript on me, but every time I have tried it it was after a long day's testing of loads of other stuff, so I may not have been paying sufficient attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, terrific idea to wear AN during cool weather - I think it would be perfect when it's crisp out. I have no idea why LP intrigues me so much. Let me know if you have any insights!

      Delete
  5. Here's to blind buys that go right! And you've inspired me to dig out that sample of Angelique Noire I'm sure is floating around somewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy holidays, dear Natalie!! Angelique Noire is quite the pretty thing, indeed.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.