Sunday, November 18, 2012

Impressions: Iris 39, and a handful of vanilla

Iris 39:  Ahh, gorgeous floral celery.  Yeah, I know, doesn't sound so good, but it is.

Now for the vanillas:  I have been on the look-out for the perfect vanilla - something that smells like vanilla extract in perfume form.

Yves Rocher Vanille Noire - The most lovely hit of creamy vanilla, and a bit of medicinal something. Quite the steampunk, with lace.

Annick Goutal Vanille Exquise.  This pretty vanilla stays very close to my skin.  I need to drench myself to really revel in it, so perhaps I need a large decant or should I throw caution to the wind and get a full bottle?  Once it settles in, this is what I mean when I say I like vanilla.  But I want it LOUDER!  Check out Abigail's review at Now Smell This here.

Roger & Gallet Vanille.  Oooh, a citrus vanilla!  Can be worn all year 'round. And so inexpensive.

L'Aromarine Vanille Parfum Extrait.  I have such a soft spot for L'Aromarine (now known as Outremer) so it is quite usual for me to gush about this line.  But in this case, although I love the deep rich toasted vanilla fragrance, the scent runs away from me almost immediately.  I wonder if it would last longer if I poured some in a hot bath.

Santa Maria Novella Vaniglia.  This is a boozy vanilla which got some love from Patty, but doesn't get a lot of love from me.

Mona di Orio Les Nombres d'Or Vanille.  Another boozy vanilla, and smoke?  To me this smells like the day after a night at the bar, back when one could smoke in a bar.  Cool idea, but not what I want in a vanilla perfume.

I think I'm going to play around a little bit more with the Goutal.

(image from http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.com)

The vanillas I sampled are all from the most lovely LN. (the the exception of the Mona di Orio) Thank you!

24 comments:

  1. I quite agree with your description of Vanille Noire...right now I wish my mini weren't packed up for the move. But I agree, the trick would be to find a vanilla that smells just like the extract!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ginger - IF you have any suggestions, please let me know - so far, the Goutal is in the running, but I'm always open to try more 'fume. Good luck with the move!

      Delete
    2. Ah, thanks!
      My favorite vanilla so far is Vanille Bourbon by Laurence Dumont. It's full-bodied, creamy and a teeny bit smoky. It's delicious!

      Delete
    3. oooh - I may just have to scope that one out!

      Delete
  2. Carol, have you tried the Vanilla releases from Micallef yet? I haven't tried any of the ones you mention here, but I do like a vanilla perfume that is not too fluffy and soft. Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille springs to mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Michael! I haven't tried any Micallef yet as I was just dipping into my vat of untested samples. I have tried the Lutens - I wrote "toasted marshmallows" after I sampled it. Unfortunately I gave the Lutens sample away. Grrr, why do I do that?!

      Delete
    2. Toasted marshmallows - that's a great way of describing it, especially if toasted over a fire that lends a touch of smokiness! Yay!

      Delete
    3. I think I need another sample of it! Yay is right!

      Delete
  3. Have you tried Taken by Jane Booke? I got a sample from Indiescents and it's very vanilla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm, no I haven't, Poodle - thanks for the suggestion!!

      Delete
  4. Agree with you about the loveliness of Iris 39; it's not part of my top three, but I'm glad I've got it in my collection.

    As far as vanillas go, I've got an impressive list in my Perfume Categories that I'll get to someday, but right now there are other notes that are interesting me more (saffron, suede, incense, orange blossom, jasmine) so it may be a while until I get there. But I do have a mini of YR's Vanille Noir (cute little minis, aren't they?) that I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ohh I haven't seen the YR minis (off to check them out).
      I have been wanting a good vanilla for EVER and just recently a dear L sent me a handful of them. I'll probably forget about my vanilla quest in about a day or two! ;) only to be reminded by another blogger down the road. I'm such a ditz!!

      And I'm glad too about Iris 39. I found myself reaching for it yesterday - there is just something really interesting about it.

      Delete
  5. Oh, had I only known you were a vanilla freak! You must try Angelique noire (Guerlain).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually have some of AN - and I didn't even think of it when I was going through L's vanilla samples she sent me. D'oh!

      Delete
  6. Reading this makes me want to eat a cupcake...NOW and has reminded me that I want to make my own vanilla extract.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehee! I want one now too!
      Looking forward to your blog post about vanilla extract.

      Delete

  7. Ooh. I've been looking for the perfect vanilla too. A few years ago I fell in love with Indult Tihota, but I just couldn't bear to spend the price. Now it's discontinued and terrifyingly expensive, and I suspect it's a little too sweet and innocent for me now, too.

    I'll give some of these a try. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. howdie CF, and happy vanilla-scented sampling! The pain of the much beloved yet discontinued frag - I feel for you.

      Delete
  8. I have a sample of Iris 39. Haven't tried it yet, but I'll get back to you on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Joan! Looking forward to hearing what your impressions are of it.

      Delete
  9. One of my coworkers (a delightful lady in her late 70's) wears top-quality pure vanilla extract, Jennifer-Love-Hewitt-style, from her own kitchen pantry-- and smells fantastic. I gave her a sample of Comptoir Sud Pacifique Vanilla Coco and now she wafts the most delicious macaroon aroma around the library, destroying all of our will to stick to our diets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I didn't know JLH did that too. Maybe that's just what I should do - forget about purchasing expensive perfume and just go back to wearing extract like I did in my late teens! ;)

      Delete
  10. I don't know all the vanillas you mention, but I am with you on the AG. It needs more oomph, for sure. But I do like it a lot. It's a bit like Creed Sublime Vanille or Eau Duelle without the incense. : - )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh pheww! It makes me feel so much better that you, with your wonderful and much more specific-than-me nose, agree with me on soft/loudness in a scent. Thanks Vanessa!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.