Monday, August 27, 2012

other smelly late August stuff

Keiko Mecheri Peau de Peche (white peach, orris powder, sandalwood, amber wood) reminds me of Annick Goutal Petite Cherie but with more peach and a tiny bit more punch (I have read that some people get a plastic note off of this one - I don't at all).  If you don't have Petite Cherie I suggest you get your hands on PdPeche  because everyone need a pretty fruity well-done 'fume IMHO. (Thanks to Lisa for the sample!)

Diptyque L'Eau and Eau Lente.  I completely forgot about these gems until Olenska made mention of them in recent blog conversations.  Why is it when I want to stop liking perfumes for budgetary reasons do I stumble upon ones that I want so badly?  Sigh.

Dehydrating food.  Between pickling/canning which is mostly vinegar and spice smell, I have been dehydrating a LOT since our two gardens are overflowing with bounty and I can only put up so many pickles.  Dehydrating food ends up, after a few hours, all smelling the same.  And since it takes hours to dehydrate (up to 14 hours), that smell is in the house a heck of a lot of the time.  I wonder what that smell is?  Cellulose?  I'm getting kinda tired of it.  Perhaps next batch I'll put the dehydrator out on the back porch.

(You can see I actually dehydrated cucumbers - as I mentioned I was way tired of canning pickles. Also in this photo are zucchini and tomatoes.   No I did not dehydrate the beans - they're in the photo because I like the texture.  I have also dehydrated bananas, nectarines, basil, chard, eggplant, and clementines.   But not marshmallows. I'm learning a lot about the various subcultures involved in dehydrating - it is quite eye-opening)

17 comments:

  1. I should dig out my dehydrator. What do you do with dehydrated cukes and eggplant? I have done some pickling this year. I love canning, I just don't do nearly as much as I'd like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Poodle - thanks for stopping by and commenting. I'm going to put the eggplant into stews this winter. The cukes - well, it was suggested that I just throw some in a pickle jar that still has a few pickles left in it and they'll make new pickles! Other than that I have no idea! We recently got a pressure canner, but we haven't tried it yet. What's your favorite thing to can?

      Delete
    2. I've done tomato sauce, cucumber relish, salsa, and some rhubarb relish although I have no idea if that will be any good. I never tried the recipe before. I think my dehydrator is at my mom's. I'll have to grab it next time I'm there. You've got me all inspired now. I love to grow stuff and although I don't plant much I still have too much sometimes because hubby can be weird about some veggies. That's why I'm trying to do more preserving.

      Delete
    3. So weird, Scott & I were just at Target and of all things, they've added a FREEZE-DRIED FOOD section. All these jars and packets of strange styrofoam looking foodstuffs! I'd much rather eat dehydrated/sundried, so much more palatable.

      Delete
    4. Poodle, we have two garden spaces - a big raised bed here at home, and two spots at the community garden. Wowza, have I been busy! I need to find a recipe for zucchini relish!

      Delete
    5. Meg, there is a HUGE subculture of 'preppers' out there. Wow, my eyes have been opened. Then there are the new homesteader types and folks who just have more than enough from their garden plots, and then the raw food folks - very interesting! And eye opening. And a little bit scary.

      Delete
  2. How do you use dehydrated cukes? I've never cooked with cukes; to me they either land in a salad or a pickle jar, so I'm curious. They'd take up a lot less space dried.

    I really tend to hate fruity scents, but Peau de Peche sounds really nice! Woods and orris should make it soft and elegant instead of crappy sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey L! I'm going to throw the dehydrated cukes in a jar of pickles in my fridge and see what happens.

      I can send you that sample if you'd like. I like fruity at certain times - in the heat, and/or if they're weighted by woods which this one is. Just woke up - my one bantam chicken is driving me batty!!

      Delete
  3. I'm ready to fire up my dehydrator in the next little bit, with the tomatoes, pears and apples I've ordered by the box, but ohhhh I would love the space for a garden. Been doing research on sub-irrigated planters and planning to try a container garden on my deck next year, and I'm hoping it works out. Also, I'm seriously considering trying my hand at canning salsa for the very first time every, so wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello D! Oh you will be wonderful with canning salsa - just think that people have been doing it for YEARS and years. I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the produce coming in, and attempting to preserve it - but we're giving a bunch away too. Looking forward to hearing about your deck garden!!!

      Delete
  4. Pictures! Yay! (thanks for the link, too) :)

    I am still thinking about doing some canning. This morning I progressed to the point of looking up a few recipes. I'll of course have to share if I get brave enough to try it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nat, it is pretty easy once you get over the fear - but even if your jars don't seal properly, just pop them in the fridge!

      Delete
  5. One o' these days I'm going to gang a bunch of people up and do a massive 47-way split of L'Eau, L'Eau de L'Eau, and La Chasse aux Papillons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love 10 mls or so of L'Eau. I can send you 10 mls of Chasse if you'd like! :D

      Delete
    2. I'm gonna be scouting for Diptyque L'Eau in NYC this fall. I read a comment on Ari's blog today relating an unpleasant experience w/ a Diptyque NYC sales assistant, so I am planning to do it at top speed! :D

      Delete
  6. Ooh, "food dehydration" is a closed book to me, but I think I might like apple pieces and maybe some kind of bean? With lots of salt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert has been digging the banana chips! Mostly though we are using the dehydrator to store over-flow from our gardens - the one in our back yard and then our plots in the community garden.

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.