Sunday, August 19, 2012

Opoponax




Let me see, okay Sunday was the first time I spritzed on Les Nereides Opoponax.After doing a little research on this fine fragrance,  I read somewhere that someone mentioned that at first blush this smells like chlorine.  I don't really get the swimming pool vibe off of Opoponax, but perhaps it's the benzoin.

Nope I don't think it's that because doesn't benzoin smell vanilla-y?  The notes of Opoponax are opoponax (sweet myrrh), amber, vanilla, sandalwood, benzoin and citrus.  I get a a lemony citrus, which is delicious and adds a bit of acid to the otherwise sweetness of this scent.  Can you tell I'm watching too many cooking shows?

Then Monday came around.  My sister M and her family came into town on their way to vacation in Chicago.  Remember my post about attempting to make L'Air de Rien  my semi-signature scent?  Well that didn't work!  I wore Annick Goutal Mandragore.  Perhaps because I was thinking of her two young sons and Harry Potter, and that mandrake connection or something.  Or perhaps because someone on Facebook Fragrance Friends just wore it.  We had a nice lunch and off they went, up the road to Chi-town.

But Monday night, I was itching to sniff Les Nereides Opoponax again.  Dear me, I like this.  A LOT.  I did some more reading, and someone else said s/he gets a whiff of Playdoh from it.  Hmmm not me, but there IS something in there that's weird (but in a good way).  What is that?

Tuesday. Yep you guess it, LN Opoponax again.

Wednesday, Le Labo Iris 39.

Thursday, sampling Santa Maria Novella Opoponax.  Listed as a cologne, I can see where folks may think that this one is slightly more masculine than the Les Nereides.  The SMN is a bit bitter, but that is its beauty.  I read on basenotes that James Joyce was heard to prefer opoponax scents.  I think I'm becoming an opoponax freak!  Unfortunately for me (or fortunately because I cannot afford another love) this one fades very very very quickly from my skin.

Thursday evening : another Writer's Creativity Salon night - of course I just had to wear Coty Chypre. Oh yes, Dorothy would have been proud.

It's Sunday again, and I really need to end this post - I can see it going on and on and on, but I really don't know how to end it and I'm getting nervous about not knowing how to end it and I have a headache coming on, so I'll just thank Christos for the Opoponax samples and type:   THE END.

13 comments:

  1. Is Chypre available again!?!??!? Or is it old bottles of it found on ebay for a fortune?

    When Coty reissued Chypre, La Rose Jacqueminot, and .... damn can't remember the other one....Les Muses!- in the 80s, I fell in love with all of them but especially Chypre. I'd never smelt anything like it before. And they were *cheap* then; I really wonder what it smelled like in the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Laurie!!!

      I would love to sniff the original Chypre. I have never smelled La Rose Jacque - need to hunt that one down. I bought a bottle of Chypre on ebay and actually it wasn't that expensive!

      Delete
  2. I'm a huge fan of incense and woody scents, but no matter how many times now I've read that opoponax is another name for myrrh, it just won't stay in my head. Incense. Myrrh. Biblical-type names with gravity. Opoponax just doesn't have the same ring to it. Fun to say though. "Opoponax. Opoponaxopoponaxopoponax...... O-POP-onax."

    In the post that just can't stop, I'm the commenter that just can't stop. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaaa I keep saying Apoplexy for Opoponaxy ;) (and I didn't check the spelling, either) But sweet myrrh is different from regular myrrh, I think, so I wouldn't worry if opoponax doesn't stay in your head.

      Delete
  3. I am so glad you liked Imperial Opoponax. Unfortunately it is now discontinued but you could be lucky if you look for it on ebay. Opoponax as a material has a medicinal vibe so I guess this is what others get as "swimming pool".

    I particularly like this trivia I found in wikipedia:
    In the novel Black House by Stephen King and Peter Straub, the word opopanax is used repeatedly and constantly in a nonsensical fashion, as both a verb and an adjective (e.g. "distant cry of the opopanax", the opopanax this, the opoponax that, etc.) eventually becoming a symbol for all the strange and incomprehensible events unfolding in the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!!! :) This was the book where I met this word for the first time. In my head it's an animal. When I stop and think I remember that it's not but the first time I read it every time it's some type of a civet relative.

      Delete
    2. Christos, actually Lucky Scent has it; and thanks for that trivia - I must read that book!

      Delete
  4. This morning I was wearing Diptyque Eau Lente, which is super-opoponax... but I just couldn't get behind it for some reason. Opopanax is so gentle and soft, and I was in a prickly mood. So I put on PdN Sacrebleu instead. Fizzzzzz!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh ooooh it IS it IS! Pulling out that sample and now it is on my right hand as L'Eau is still on my left hand. Thank you my dearest.

      Now to find the FOURTH horseman! ;) You crack me up!

      Delete
  5. That's gotta be some good stuff! (LN Opoponax)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh man, Nat, it sure is. A bottle of it is sitting in my cart at Lucky Scent! As I am on my third week of not-smoking, I'm hoping to use the money I have saved by not buying cigs to buy that bottle! Wish me luck.

      Delete
  6. Any note which has such a spectacular name - and a ringing endorsement from James Joyce - has my vote!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello my dear Bonks - there is a similarity to Labdanum - in the warmth and close fuzziness. I think you'd enjoy this one.

      xox

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.