Saturday, August 4, 2012

Coty Smitty and Wild Musk Patchouli

(my peace sign beaded perfume sample bag)

I swapped with a fragrance lover whom I met on Facebook's FFF group, and I received a healthy sample of Coty Smitty.  'The Disco Fragrance"  hahaa.  I remember going to a disco club back in the day - even though it made me gag (the club, not Smitty as I had never heard of it then) but I did like to dance.  In 1976 I was probably wearing their Sweet Earth compacts.  Gosh I loved those compacts, especially the Woods collection.

There isn't a lot of reviews or mentions of Smitty on the interwebs. (Basenotes only mentions that it is discontinued, and that it was launched in 1976).  I wonder why there is a lack of information - it really is a good perfume.  There is a nice mixture of green and warmth, the sillage is good, and it lasts quite long.  From what I have gathered, I believe that this was Coty's answer to Revlon's Charlie.  Now I haven't sniffed Charlie in YEARS so I really cannot say much about their similarity or differences.  The only thing I remember about Charlie, okay two things - that awful commercial and the fact the my sister wore it and I didn't like it on her at all.

Lisa also gave me a sample of Coty's Wild Musk Patchouli blend oil  Now THIS is what I thought Bronze Goddess would be like.  A sweet patchouli with hints of musky beachy (whatever that means to me) goodness.  Absolutely lovely!  I don't remember ever sniffing this back in the day - the regular Wild Musk, sure, but not this one.  Oh a definite MUST HAVE.

Thanks to Lisa for the opportunity for me to wear these discontinued delights!  I am becoming such a Coty fan gal.

18 comments:

  1. I LOVE the Wild Musk Patchouli oil, and still have a bottle! Thankfully, it lasts forever. One sniff and I'm back in the early 70s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. howdie L!!!! you lucky duck you! I need a full bottle stat!

      Delete
  2. I always liked to dance (though I never had too many opportunities to do that) but I have absolutely no olfactory memories of that time.

    I don't think any of the two you described are my type of a perfume but I'm glad that you got something interesting to try. Will you be getting more of them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Undina! I wish I had more specific scent memories of that time. One good thing about blogging is that now we have it all down!

      Will I be getting more Cotys - I sure hope so!!

      Delete
  3. "I am becoming such a Coty fan girl" - that is just what I was thinking. :) And why not?! There are such an amazing array of Coty scents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They totally blow me away - I never knew!!

      Delete
  4. Old Cotys are pretty amazing.

    I have a vague memory of Smitty... wonder if they had a deodorant spray or something like that, because although I had forgotten about it I'm almost sure I owned something with that logo on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh they sure are, Mals!! I have been pleasantly stunned by their beauty!

      Once I saw the logo, I was thinking that I vaguely remembered it too - I'm sure they had a deodorant or powder or something. It's so difficult to find information about Smitty on the webs.

      Delete
  5. Oh, that's a Coty I never heard of-- how did I miss it? Was I sent to bed early for being a bad kid, and thus missed watching the TV commercial? From the description at TVparty dot com, it sounds like a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey you! I didn't remember it at all until I saw the logo; then it was a very vague recollection. Probably because Charlie was so big then. Arghh, Charlie. I really wanted to like that one (because of the name - my dad was Charles), but alack and alas! Not for me.

      Delete
  6. Oh, I'm glad you found something that hits the sweet spot that Bronze Goddess missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh it does - thanks Dionne - the only trouble is that it doesn't last that long on my skin - I'm wondering if the cologne version would last longer.

      Delete
  7. Frida, first off: I'm loving that beaded peace sign purse. Did you make it? I miss the peace sign ... let's bring it back!

    Secondly, I had completely forgotten there was a Coty Smitty, but as soon as I heard the name I remember seeing it in the drug stores. Never smelled it, but it sounds quite good from your description. I'm also thinking it would be sort of fun (and I'd love to see what kind of look you might get) if someone asked you what you were wearing and you answered, "Smitty" with a certain far-away look and smile on your face.

    Okay, forgive my strange sense of humor. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't make that bag, Suzanne - but now you have me thinking! I also have a peace sign tee-shirt! AND a peace sign sticker on my car. Oh my!

      Smitty is quite good! hahaahaha "what did you say you're wearing!?" ;)

      Delete
  8. Then there was Houbigant's Ciao! another disco fragrance. Am I the only one to remember that? And YES I remember the Sweet Earth compacts, how I envied the girl who had one from the States.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hell BA, I don't remember that Ciao - I must now research it. And those Sweet Earth - that was my first lesson in perfumery. Woods = patchouli, sandalwood and amber. Maybe that's why I tend to be a woodsy gal in general.

      Delete
  9. That Ciao was a fruity chypre, and had some um...let me see, gotta go get my old Haarman and Riemer guide...cumin, lemon and basil in the head, over a lot of jasmine and oakmoss. I wonder if it was anything like their Apercu?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh I would have loved to sniffed that - esp with cumin in it! I don't know Apercu - I bet Meg/Olenska does though

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.