Thursday, June 7, 2012

Sniffing, gardening and painting

So much happening these days - mostly gardening and painting (well I'm supposed to be re-painting the living room and the stairway/entryway but err...).  I'm involved in a Flickr project called ICAD (an Index Card a Day) wherein you paint/draw/doodle on an index card then post it to the group.  Very fun and inspirational.

The Moth and I made a little pretty garden (raised beds) over the weekend and everything is growing nicely so far.  Also I have a little plot at a community garden.

(the little door to our garden, which is actually an upcycled window sash)

Since this IS my perfume blog, what have I been doing perfume-wise?  Well I did order some samples, but I really have to stop doing this.  I should do what Undina is doing, which is not buying any samples until the tested ones go down in number.

But I couldn't help myself when I purchased two from L'Artisan - Traversee du Bosphore and Batucada. 

According to Luckyscent, the notes of TdB are Apple, pomegranate, tulip, iris, leather, saffron, Turkish delight accord (rose and pistacchio), vanilla, musks. I adore the apple/leather at the beginning, but the rest of it - well I'd rather put on some of my beloved Tokyo Milk Arsenic for that Turkish delight thing-a-ma-jig.

Batucada.  It's not substantial enough for me and way too fleeting, though it is zesty at first.

"Is there ANYTHING you have been enjoying lately, you old curmudgeon, you?"  Well yes, there is!  I do really really like (I am keeping myself from loving due to the price) Parfums MDCI Rose de Siwa.  This is a stunningly beautiful and nuanced rose that I want very badly but have to forget about it!  She is way out of my league, sadly.

(our little garden fenced to keep Sephora and the hens away - which needs some watering today. I love pinwheels!)

10 comments:

  1. Dang. I HAVE a 1ml. sample of Traversee du Bosphore that I haven't even gotten around to yet. I am HORRIBLY tardy... but sometimes a person just wants to cling to the familiar and wear the same trusty, best-beloved fragrances over and over until courage begins to reassert itself.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the feeling. I think you may enjoy TdB much more than I do - you have a better nose than I do!

      Delete
  2. Your garden gate is so charming, Frida. You obviously have an artistic bent!

    I smelled MDCI Rose de Siwa in Paris and quite concur with your assesment. Almost every MDCI perfume I tried was gorgeous and expensive smelling without being ostentatious. And Rose de Siwa is especially suave.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww, thanks Suzanne. Oh to be able to sniff RdS in Paris - how wonderful!!!

      Delete
  3. Bummer! Sorry to hear TdB was a bust. But, I'm glad they haven't all been misses. I haven't smelled MDCI Rose de Siwa, so I look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nat, if I didn't own Arsenic I probably would have enjoyed TdB much more. Sometimes having tested/owned many perfumes makes one jaded :S Plus I think that because I'm so broke these days, I'm almost forcing myself to talk myself out of loves! ;)

      Delete
  4. If you still have ant TdB left, test it more in a month: after I knew what expect from it (or, rather, not to expect) it suddenly worked much better.

    It's summer almost everywhere so just imagine in what temperature conditions will any of the samples be transported - you definitely do not need (at least pay for) any samples until Fall! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you are so right, Undina - I have noticed samples doing different things on my skin these last coupla months - will try TdB again in a few months! :)

      Delete
  5. Suzanne's "Especially suave" is a great description of Rose de Siwa. I can see why you are so drawn to it. My decant went off, sadly, which is a poor show for such a pricy juice!

    TdB was not my thing at all - disagreeably fuzzy to my nose, while Batacuda was zesty all right, but a touch too astringent for my liking.

    Loving your garden, btw - bluey greeny grays are all the rage, as I have learnt in my paint research lately. Still chuckling at my reference to Ben Sherman paints. Mrs Malaprop or what?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh no, your decant went off? That's awful esp for such an expensive perfume. I'd be spittin' mad!

      I LOVE those wallpapers you posted - love love love them!!!

      XOX

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.