Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Tale of Two SAs

photo of our dog, Sephora

The other day, The Moth and I had to go to a mall - something to do with our cell phones.  I wandered into Macy's as I wanted to sniff the 'new' Opium and I said so to the SA.  She said something like only the packaging was new.  Don't want to go into too much detail, other than she demanded to know how I 'knew' that Opium was reformulated, said that no one had told her that and she has been wearing it for 30 years.  It was as if she took it all personally.  Sigh.  Next time I'm just going to say that I know because I work for IFRA.

Afterwards, we went down the road a bit to Trader Joe's - and in that large shopping area... what do they call those now...shopping villages?  Anyway, there is a Sephora there, too.  I left The Moth at the checkout to hike over to Sephora.

Now mind you I was not dressed to be out.  Basically I had on yoga pants tucked into black motorcycle boots, a long-sleeved tee-shirt that I had worn to bed the night before, and a flannel shirt over it.  Of course I was wearing lipstick and 'fume.  But basically, I looked like I just rolled out of bed.  I wonder if my lack of outfit upset the first SA.. ?

The Sephora SA was absolutely delightful!!!  We talked and talked for a half hour or so - she and I have similar tastes so we were oohing and ahhing over scents and sharing information, and she made up some samples for me. The Moth came into the store after he finished purchasing the items we had picked out at Trader Joe's, and we talked some more.  She said that we had made her day - that earlier in the day, someone had come into the store and stolen TEN bottles of perfume and she had felt badly that she didn't catch on until too late.

I purchased a small purse spray of Womanity.  Now whenever I wear it, I'll think of our nice time there.

I need to make up some samples for her soon.  I think I found a new local fumey pal!

Oh, and PS:  The "new" Opium disappeared from my skin in no time at all.  

12 comments:

  1. I've also had excellent customer service at Sephora, much better than what I usually get at The Bay (sort of a Canadian Macy's). It's not unusual for them to offer me waaaay more than the store-policy-3-vials after we get chatting perfumes, and more than once we've finished off with me writing down the names of perfume blogs for them.

    The only SA I've ever met here in Canada who really knew what she was talking about was the Jo Malone rep at Holt Renfrew. I feel like a bit of a snob to declare I didn't see that one coming, but what a delight it was to visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Dionne! She was asking about blogs, too! It was so cool - I mean, we have the interwebs, but it's so nice to talk IN PERSON to folks who have the same passion

      I do think (re: the Macy's one) that my attire made me 'less than' - if I had on pearls or a suit, she may have not been as upset with me as she seems.

      Ahh, you're not a snob! It's just shocking at times to find like minds!

      Delete
  2. I met a couple of nice SA's at our Saks here a year or so ago. But Saks isn't on my usual rounds. Our Sephora though? Fuggetaboutit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh that sucks - most of the Sephora SAs that I have spoken with have been pretty darn cool - but Karen topped them all!

      Delete
  3. It makes me happy to hear POSITIVE SA ramblings! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello fellow FFF pal! Yes, it is always a delight to ramble and read positive SA rambles. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I don't remember meeting any "bad" SAs at any of multiple Sephoras around where I live but unfortunately I do not need much from those stores.

    There is a very nice SA at my local Nordstrom, she loves perfumes (well, within their assortment) and is always very nice to me. I usually chat with her on my trips to the store and always buy only from her.

    Yoga pants and a tee-short? Yeah... You didn't look like an Opium material ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking to sniff Spicebomb! Unfortunately they didn't have it there. So glad you commented on my outfit - I am SURE it had a lot to do with that exchange! Esp since those pants were tucked into motorcycle boots! ;) xox

      Delete
  5. Great story, and I love the sound of your outfit. I have been out in things I slept in the night before, though not to a perfume store, hehe!

    So happy you made a new fumie friend, and it is nice that you have a scent to mark the occasion - and boost the poor lady's backwards trending sales figures...

    I was with you this weekend last year! How time flies and all that. No blueberry smoothies tomorrow I am afraid, though I have wool in abundance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehee, I'm glad I am not the only one who ventures out doors in sleep clothes!! I cannot believe it's been a year since you were here. I miss you muchly! <3

      But also, what happened to my page? It's all different!? Where are all the links, etc. Gahh!

      Delete
  6. How nice that the second SA didn't let her bad day reflect on your experience. It's always good to hear stories of good SAs, since I know we all have our share of negatives.

    And lol about the option of saying you work for IFRA!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Natalie! Yeah, there have been way too many bad SA experiences in my life (and others) - had to share the good one. Heheeeee, seriously, I'm gonna say that next time; although the SA would probably reply "What's IFRA?" ;)

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.