Saturday, January 28, 2012

Perfume on TV and me

Did anyone catch the last episode of "Castle"?  Well, if you didn't there was a character on that show who had her own celeb perfume, and Castle said something like he prefers Fracas.   Now I remember sniffing it at Saks or somewhere and not liking it (though I do like Bandit) - ahhh this is probably why (from their website) - "Classic femininity and modern sensibility collide within this lush white floral fragrance. Seductive tuberose mingles with jasmine, jonquil, gardenia, Bulgarian rose and orange flower in a profusion of fragile white flowers before revealing a base of sandalwood, vetiver and musk. Fracas is the signature fragrance for those who want to make an unforgettable impression"  I'm so not a white floral person.  Sigh - I have no chance with him now!


Monday:  nada

Tuesday: Guerlain Shalimar - wearing it today, I was thinking how I used to think it was such a big, loud and incredibly un-close perfume - but now, probably given all the samples I have sniffed, it's not that big anymore. Interesting how perceptions change after the years, huh?

Wednesday: Agent Provacateur (original) - needed a blast of this to get me through the day.

Thursday: Satellite Padparadscha - if I didn't have enough orientals, I would truly like a bottle of this - the light whiff of Red Hots doesn't hurt, either. Notes from Luckyscent: amber, musk, cedar, sandalwood, juniper, pepper.  I love perfume with pepper in it.  But on second thought, 100ml for $80.00 isn't such a bad price point...hmmmmm.  But truthfully, if I had 80 bucks, I'd buy some more Diptyque L'Ombre dans L'eau - I'm nearly out of my mini.

Friday: Chanel #22.  Shout out to Suzanne who not only has a wonderful blog, but decants beautifully.  I bought a decant of #22 from her, and have been enjoying it immensely.  As with other Chanel's, this is not a everyday perfume for me - it's a perfume I will wear when I want to feel pretty and classy. Yes, it has aldehydes, yes it gets powdery and has 'white florals', but there is something (other than rose) that speaks to me with this one (probably the base notes of vetiver and incense, though I read Polge when they re-introduced it in 2007, put less emphasis on the incense).

Which begs the question - do I like it because I WANT to like it?  Or is my nose finally learning and liking more notes these days.

Maybe I DO have a chance with Castle after all!

17 comments:

  1. We don't have Castle over here - or I don't think so - but weirdly, I just bought a bottle of Fracas yesterday for a friend's upcoming 40th birthday. She loves big white florals and this is her and her boyfriend's fave scent out of all the ones I have suggested she try. It is too "big boots" for me, though I am quietly getting into tuberose (if that isn't a contradiction in terms).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonks, that is weirdly cool coincidental!! Quietly Tuberose - someone should make a perfume called that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. RE: QUIETLY TUBEROSE - I like that too, though it is technically an oxymoron. Tuberose itself would shout, "WHAT did you call me?!"

    PS: FILLION! His recent interview on "The Nerdist" was amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Frida ... oh gosh, I luuuurved Nathan Fillion in Firefly!! I hardly watch TV anymore, but I may have to start watching Castle (I did see a couple episodes when it first started) because he is still so damn cute, isn't he? And if his character prefers Fracas then he just got hotter.

    Thanks for the shout-out and think about this: if you're lovin' the Chanel 22, you're only a hop-skip away from loving Fracas. If at some point you'd like to try it again, let me know and I'll send you a sample. I'll do my best to get you inducted into the White-Floral Lovers Hall of Shame. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I noticed the Castle thing! I started yelling at the tv "Nathan Fillon likes my perfume!" over and over. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Meg, yes it is, but still!!! I love Fillion; have bookmarked The Nerdist to find him there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Suzanne, thanks again, and I'm not YET there - esp with 22 there's something at some point that reminds me of Beautiful and I want to gag. But the end dry down is really pretty.

    Another episode of Castle, he was trying on different costumes to hear for a Halloween party, and he put on his Firefly one! LOL! Gosh, I loved Firefly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Diane!! I'm sooo glad you caught that too! Esp since it's your fragrance (I'm jealous!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oops that was "wear" not "hear" Suzanne...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Padparascha is a strange one, I think. The red hots is possibly what I don't like so much about it. I think it is interesting though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Michael!!I can see that; but for me, it is what makes it a bit different (or as you said interesting) than a lot of other orientals.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Such an interesting batch of scents for the week! I haven't tried either the Agent Provacateur or Padparascha. But I can see No. 22 the way you do: pretty and classy seem a good sum up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like Castle and I didn't miss that episode but I can't stand Fracas.
    Why didn't you wear anything on Monday?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Natalie!! Both AP and P are worth a sniff (AP is one of my go to scents). Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Undina, I think I didn't wear anything because I woke up too late, and had to hurry to get to work!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for commenting on my blog! Just wanted to say that while I haven't seen them all, I also love Midsomer Murders. Especially all those eccentric characters. It's like Miss Marple in modern times...
    xoxo
    -S

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Sonia!!! It is like Miss Marple in modern times - perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.