Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Balenciaga Paris, Lolita Lempicka and Demeter Snow

I bought my sample of Balenciaga Paris awhile ago - and when I first attempted to try it, it did nothing for me.  But I really really REALLY like Charlotte Gainsbourg, so try again I do.


(photo from themorningafterpills.com)

I like the violet.  But that's about it. Cannot detect any pepper. Here's a very nice review by Robin at NST.  I know that this review is for a perfume that's been around for over a year, and I kinda wish I had tried it against L'Essence - here's Bios de Jasmin's take on the two.

Now with Lolita Lempicka, I sniffed it quickly and posted about it here.  It's too sweet for me, and contrary to what Robin says here, I don't see any similarity to Mugler Angel (which by the way I love but will probably never own a full bottle since I see it as the Opium of this generation, and I was of the original Opium generation and one who still loves it!)

On a more positive note, I needed to stop in to Rite Aid today, and they had the Demeter winter fragrances out - Snow, Christmas Tree and, oh shoot, I don't remember the third one.  Anyway Snow is to die for!  It's reminds me a bit of CB I Hate Perfume Winter 1972, but a heck of a lot cheaper.  Do try it!

14 comments:

  1. Balenciage Paris smelled like musks with diluted violet. I like L'essence much better, it has a nice green freshness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks KJ - will def try to test L'essence!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked Paris. Didn't think it was groundbreaking or anything, but was quite well done, in a fairly understated sort of way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually Michael, during the day and evening it developed more...it is well done...but not enough ooomph for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I may just have to pick some "Snow" up.
    xoxoxoxox

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's nice to read you again. Please don't abandon us fot too long.

    BP left me completely not interested - not bad, just not appealing enough.

    Lolita Lempicka... Many years ago, when the first perfume was released, I sniffed it, told myself that it smelled too much like Angel (and took some offence in it since I loved Angel and thought of it as of a plagiarism). Since then I haven't tried a single perfume from this brand. All because of that first impression.

    I want to try those perfumes from Demeter: I want to get into the holidays mood.

    ~ Undina ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. I quite like Paris but agree that it doesn't rock my world. I also like L'Essence which I find markedly different: less musky, more sheer and green as kjanicki said. And of course I will never forget trying Snow and was it Fireplace? at A's house when I came to visit - I think her children had bought them for her. Snow was a good rendition of the white stuff, and will always remind me of an extraordinary night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Miss Missy! Good to see you again - yes, please try it - it's so very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Undina, I hope to have more posts - but now it's the holiday season upon us. I really need to sniff Angel v LL because I didn't see a similarity at first. Thanks for your kind words!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Isn't is wonderful when a scent can capture a special moment, Bonks? I'm glad you have that memory!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those Demeters sound gorgeous .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Demeter's fragrances and can't wait to try Snow. My fave so far is Rain.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Angie, they are esp given the price point.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Sonia!!! Ooooh I definitely will have to try Rain!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.