Monday, September 19, 2011

the scents of my Minnesota trip

I was in a hotel for nearly six days in Minnesota - mortgage counseling training for work.  I flew on 9/11/11  - how patriotic of me.  Actually it was quite interesting - everyone, from airport staff to the regular joe taking a flight, was so cheerful!



First off, don't you hate the smell of your clothes after you have been traveling?  There is a sickly sweet smell that pervades traveling - where does that come from?  Or do I just smell sickly sweet?  It usually has something to do with airplanes or hotels, because I don't notice it that much when I travel by car. (EDIT) I think I have figured it out - it has to do with luggage and not taking the clothes out to 'air' once I'm in the hotel.)

Anyway...here's a quick list of the fumes I wore - AG Encens Flamboyant, AP Eau Emotionnelle, R&G Eau de Gingembre, Lalique Flora Bella and Le Labo Labdanum 18.

I  gave away my sample of Vivienne Westwood Boudoir to my cousin P on Sunday night when I met with her (as she admired it), and her two sisters for dinner.  Also, my cousin M was wearing scent, and she told me what it was and I think it was Lancome's Magie or Magie Noire- I initially thought it was the 'new' version of Opium. 

At the conference, sitting at my table was a beautiful young woman D.  She wore patchouli every single day and by the end of the week, dear lord dare I say, I was really quite annoyed with patch...and usually I love it but enough is enough!! She said that she wears patch to learn better, and frankincense to calm down.  I'm not going NEAR patchouli for a long long time (which is sad, because I have a sample set of the PLAP perfumes that I haven't dived into yet - perhaps in the new year)


At the Mall of America (how embarrassing that was - so over the top - so American!) - but if you're in the Twin Cities area, of course you have to stop in there!  I did have some fun - stopped into Desigual- and oohed and ahhhed over the magnificent clothes!!  The clerk was an adorable young woman and we chatted for nearly a half hour.  Then to H&M - another shop that if I was 30 lbs lighter and 30 years younger I would be all over.  Then to Betsey Johnson where I picked up a pair of socks and again was delighted by the clerk. 

(too bad my camera photo is so bad - Desigual's clothes are so cool!)

Oh yes, I also stopped into The Body Shop. I haven't been in one of those stores in years, and so lamented they only had TWO of the perfumed oils in stock (which were lame and I don't ever remember which two they were). Woody Sandalwood was/is to die for, and their only similar offering was Sandalwood & Ginger body spray, which is VERY pale in comparison, but I still bought some, along with Satsuma body butter, and some Hemp body butter and hand cream for the Moth for his birthday. (Checking their webpage, it looks as though WS is still available - now to find a store nearby that stocks it!)

In Nordstroms (or was it Bloomingdales?), another sweet young SA was attempting to seduce me with Bond No. 9.  No thank you - I told her - I get promotional samples of their new products quite frequently.  But I did find a large array of Chanel, and was able to re-sniff No. 22.  Oh I was in lust!! Must. Get. Some. Soon.

All in all, it was a nice visit.  I did have fun in between work and studying, and being able to reconnect with cousins I haven't seen in 15-25+ years was fantastic! Plus one of my brothers (who owns a Honey Baked Ham franchise yet lives in Ohio) and our sister D's eldest son (who now works for my brother) were there! A mini-family reunion!!

Now back to the grind.

12 comments:

  1. Frida, you fall out of love with Patch? No, never! But yeah, too much of a good thing can be just that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL you're right, Michael, I could never truly fall out of love with patchouli - but my nose does need a break!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading about your trip - glad it isn't just me that travels with work!

    I wonder if I could find that Woody Sandalwood over here - am always on a quest to find the perfect sandalwood and it isn't always practical to sniff Roget & Gallet soap bars.

    : - )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Vanessa!! Re: traveling - next time I'm going to put cedar balls in my luggage and make sure that all my lotions/etc are separate from my clothes and hang out all my clothes and not leave them in the luggage for a week!

    hehee, no I wouldn't think carrying a soap bar would be practical - if you can find WS, definitely take a sniff of that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently tried No 22 for the first time on my skin I liked it very much. I think it'll go on my "to buy" list (a decant, probably, but only because there are a couple of other Chanels that are already on that list).
    I like reading stories about travels. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh I'm glad you enjoyed my little travel post, Undina. Yes, 22 is a joy - cannot wait until next month when I can purchase a little decant from TPC!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to live & die for BS Woody Sandalwood, but the last time I sniffed it in-store it just smelled like sweet root beer. Damn reformulation.

    So cool that R&G Gingembre accompanied you, intrepid traveler!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not trying to steer you off buying from TPC just wanted to mention that Suzanne's prices (at eiderdownpress.com) for the Chanel No.22 EdT decants are slightly better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Desiqual but the biggest size is something like half of me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just found your blog, I enjoy your writing style straight from the hip.

    :) Lorraine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Olenska, darn - why must people mess with perfection?

    Undina - thanks for the tip!!

    Angie, same here!

    Lorraine - hello and thanks for stopping by!! Your pottery is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you I try to push myself and the animals keep me guessing. Happy to see you as a follower! Lorraine

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.