Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Midsummer Night's Dream scent event - Dreams by Yuko Fukami



We are such stuff
As dreams are made on; and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.

Shakespeare actually has quite a few dream quotes.  I always enjoyed this one, from The Tempest, and while The Tempest is a tragedy and A Midsummer's Night Dream is a comedy, I enjoy the dream images in both plays.

I am one of the fortunate folks in this world who can lucid dream!  I love dreaming.  I love sleeping.  I love the Summer Solstice/Midsummer.  So you can just imagine the excitement when I received Yuko Fukami (Parfum Phyto)'s Dreams perfume.

Now I'm quoting Yuko as she describes her creation -  "As ephemeral as a dream.  It sparkles, it's sweet...and the memory lingers on the skin..Flowers in the meadow against the crushed grass, hay, and woods of the forest floor."

This lovely elixir contains the following:
Top notes - coriander, virginian cedarwood
Heart notes - tuberose, violet leaf, cassie
Base notes - hay, flouve, ambrette seeds, ambergris

At first blush, the cedarwood is prominent, cushioned by the coriander.  The tuberose then springs out, but not too much, along with the violet.  I am transported to a marshy green space, covered with trees, my bare feet are squishing happily on the ground of dirt and moss, woodland flowers, and leaves that dropped the autumn before.

I find a dry place, and lie down looking skyward - the trees are a canopy, the breeze from the far away meadows reaches me.

Sleep comes peacefully and gloriously! And oh what dreams for this beloved Summer Solstice!

("Titania Sleeping" by Arthur Rackham)

And please check out the following links of reviews of the various and wonderful scents in A Midsummer's Night Dream scent event, and special thanks again to Amanda Feeley for hosting this wonderful project!





9 comments:

  1. Thank you for an incredible review, Carol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Yuko for creating it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like something I would love, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really is beautiful! And you have described it so perfectly Carol, just spot on! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't think I've come across too many (or any) perfumes with coriander, and I just love the smell of it. Beautiful review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review! Yuko has such a special talent and I'm thrilled she's received so much positive affirmation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. WONDERFUL BLOG!
    HI! my name's martina and I come from Italy... I'd like you visit my blog and if you want.... follow me! I wait you and your tips!
    Thanks! kisses, Marti! ;DDDDD
    Glamour Marmalade

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know me; I hear the word "sparkly," and I automatically raise the aldehyde shield, just in case.

    But soft, what is this? Hay and ambergris? ::lowers shield to peek:: "Flouve"? ::needs to look this one up, finds both "mossy type" and tonka type" odors ascribed to it, AND it is a relative of sweet grass:: Puts shield down.

    Not to mention midsummer. I'm all about midsummer. :)

    Okay, so I want to try it. Thanks for the introduction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, this sounds good. I love cedar.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.