Sunday, May 29, 2011

Hot weather, cool scents

This post is about those lovely, inexpensive treasures known as cologne waters.

Cologne waters have been defined as "a mildly perfumed toilet water" and "a perfumed liquid made of essential oils and alcohol". 

In this post I'll be talking about four that I own -


4711 by Muelens (sample from Olenska):  Back in the early '80s, I bought a bottle of this at the downtown Cleveland Woolworths.  I had to get it because I knew it was 'old' and although I was a young punk, I adored old things (I was researching the Jersey Lily, Buster Keaton, Louise Brooks, etc etc at that time).  I wasn't quite sold, but wore it anyway because I believed is was cool.    Most recently, with the sample I received from Olenska, I have come to really love this stuff.  According to basenotes, these are the notes:
  • Top Notes: Bergamot, Lemon, Orange, Petitgrain, Neroli
  • Middle Notes: Rosemary, Rose
  • Base Notes: Musk, Woody notes

I have yet to purchase my own bottle of this, but it is quite inexpensive.

  • Murray and Lanman's Florida Water:  The lovely Olenska sent me a 10ml sample of this a few months ago, and I fell in love (see this post).  I have since bought a small bottle for myself, finding it at a local CVS for about $3.00 or $4.00 for 221 ml.

Sanborn's Orange Blossom: First off, trying googling this - nearly every link has the word "sexy" in it.  Here is what is written about it on Amazon.com 


"The bottle, which is about eight inches tall, is a heavy glass container. A product from Mexico. Three ingredients - alcohol, fragrance, and Pentadecalactone, which is a chemical produced by the armpit of the male human, and, apparently, gives off a sex scent that women find irresistible. This fact may come as a surprise to any man who has tried to make conversation with a woman when he has visible pit stains, but apparently the science of the male armpit pheromone is established enough, at least in grooming circles, that many colognes use a chemically simulated pentadecalactone in their product. And how does Sanborns Orange Blossom Cologne smell? Well, not like armpit, thank goodness. But not like orange blossoms either. Mostly, it smells like musk. There are some orange undertones, but mostly it just smells like one expects the stomach of a stag might, especially if that deer had rolled around in old orange peels. And then gotten drunk on rubbing alcohol. It's a woodsy, powdery smell with a very strong hint of alcohol."


I actually think it smells like the beach!  But I have to say, this is my favorite of the four I have.  Maybe because I DO like the smell of fresh armpit? ;)  The bottle cost me around $6.00 for 202 ml.


Heno de Pravia (by Parfums Gal):  I have had a difficult time attempting to find notes for this Spanish beauty but finally found some on LaTienda.com.  Cut grass, lavender, geranium and sandalwood. 750 ml for about $5.00 or so.

So go forth and splash ( guilt-free). They won't break the bank, and they're the perfect scents for hot spring/summer days!

6 comments:

  1. Pentadecalactone... hm! That sounds pretty compelling, and I love that they're up front about it enough to put it right on the label. Sign me up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year spring/summer doesn't want to start in our area, so I'm still enjoying all the "havier" scents and concentrations. But in a couple of weeks... maybe...
    Undina (blogspot still doesn't allow me to log in with my Google account)

    ReplyDelete
  3. M, I'll send you a sample!

    Undina, hello!! We went from chilly and rainy to hot and rainy in two days! Sigh - no real spring just jumped right into summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of Sanborn, but 200ml for 6$?! Is that even possible? :)
    I have to try that one - I love beach scents.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The scent of a stag that rolled around in orange peels??? With rubbing alcohol? That even poor former punks like me can afford?

    Where do I go, and who do I bribe? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ines, the prices are incredibly do-able!! If you can find them, do try them!

    hahaa Tarl!

    And if you both cannot find them in Europe, let me know. Perhaps I can smuggle some out for you!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.