Thursday, March 17, 2011

Going through my old stash of samples


(this is a very old photo of samples...I have about 200+ now...oops~)

Attempting to get through sampling samples I have had for many months.  I admittedly am not giving these all the attention they deserve because my mind is on other things; can you say 'scatterbrained"?  Sure you can!

Parfume D'Empire Ambre Russe - Lutens Ambre Sultan's demure younger brother.

Washington Tremlett Clove Absolute - lots of boozy cloves, somehow reminds me of something in my mid-1970s life that I cannot pinpoint.  I'm enjoying the clove but not much else which is disappointing because I was hoping for more.

Vero Profumo Kiki - oooh!  what a delight!  Too bad it is so expensive.  Here's a lovely review by Donna at Perfume Smellin' Things.

Ulrich Lang Anvers 2 - a bit too man's cologne-y for me

Issey Miyake La Feu d'Issey - Why is this discontinued?  It is so weird and warm and wonderful; oh right, that's why!  Enjoy this review from Dimitri at Sorcery of Scent

9 comments:

  1. I adore Le Feu d'Issey, I used to wear it in my early twenties. I have been on the lookout for a good deal on ebay for so long...sigh :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a big search through my fragrances yesterday and vowed not to buy anymore . That will be a resolve that lasts a week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't tried any of those you mentioned except Ambre Russe. I actually like it, but it takes a while to grab a hold of you, if you know what I mean. The amber in it is usually not that ambery, for want of a better expression!

    I know how you feel about trying to get through and revisit old samples. It's a nightmare!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happens I found a sample of WT Clove about a week ago and put it on. I liked it.

    (Sorry, not much more insight than that at the moment. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello there!

    I had no recolection of the Tremlett Clove but have you tried Secret Melange by MPG? It's a complex clove-y scent, full and smooth.
    I always found Feu d'Issey innocuous: warmish and milkish like baby's universe: a little spilt milk, some fresh diapers, the warm feel of flesh, a hint of baby vomit even. But not unpleasant! Glad you agree.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What do you do with all those samples that aren't quite good enough to wear, but you don't really wanna quite let them go, either?
    (I've gots me several hundred of those meself.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello everyone! Sorry for the delay in responding - as most of you know Bonkers aka Vanessa was in my town from Friday until this morning, so I wasn't on line much. We had a wonderful time!

    B, I'm so glad I was able to sniff Feu, and so sorry it's discontinued :(

    Angela, I vowed I wouldn't purchase any new samples until I got through my stash, but then I just had to get a few due other bloggers' posts! Oh I'm sooo weak.

    Michael, I liked Ambre Russe much better than Lutens, though I'm not a big amber fan in general.

    SS, Clove is good - just not quite what I expected - you know what I mean?

    Elena, hello again!!! Perfect description of Feu! I couldn't say it better. And Secret Melange - gotta try it. Thank you!

    LCN, an age-old problem - I usually keep them unless someone I know either in RL or on line is jonesing for the sample. I like to keep them because my nose does change - things I didn't like a year ago can intrigue me today. I gots the same problem! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Le Feu d'Issey. It's like an enjoyable postmodern novel. A rarity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. what a great description Barbara! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.