Saturday, February 26, 2011

Amouage Memoir Woman and L'Artisan Fou d'Absinthe

You would think that with notes like this (from luckyscent) : Absynth, cardamom, mandarin orange, pink pepper, wormwood, clove, incense, pepper, jasmine, rose, white flowers, musk, french labdanum, oak moss, styrax, leather, I would be all over Memoir Woman.

(Absinthe Drinker by Manet)

It's very nice.  Classy, but not very memorable... (tee hee!)

Okay, so let me try again. And let's test it against another absynthe-type:  L'Artisan's Fou d'Absinthe which has notes of absinthe, star anise, dry pine, cistus, angelica flower, blackcurrant buds, clove, ginger, nutmeg, patchouli, pepper, pine needles, fir balsam.

Memoir Woman seems more complex and rich than Fou d'Absinthe, yet I am more drawn to Fou than Memoir, although neither blow me away.  Hmmm.  I wonder why?  And note that I do like absinthe (the drink) a lot.

Received my sample from Michael and here's his review, one from Cafleurebon and  Now Smell This
Oh I found another review from Kjanicki!

5 comments:

  1. Oooh. *adds Fou d'Absinthe to wishlist* Even the listing of scent notes seems more up my alley than the Amouage. (A house I have yet to try, whereas L'Artisan I already know and adore.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also with Memoir, the dry down gets 'men's cologne-y' on me - I much prefer Fou!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must admit that both Memoirs left me feeling a little short of memorable. I think I prefer the men's version, but I still enjoy the earlier Amouage's more. I hope that this isn't just a case of me being shortsighted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love most of Amouage but havn't tried Memoir yet. The notes are unusual but I will step carefully by ordering a sample.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Michael, I don't think you're being short-sighted at all!

    Angela, this is the only Amouage I have tried; I do have a sample of their Oud I think, but I don't think I'll be diving into their line any time soon.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.