Friday, January 21, 2011

Lip color help

(me in 1986, attempting to emulate Theda Bara.  Gosh I loved Polaroids)

I wear lip color of one type or another ALL the time.  I tend to buy the cheap stuff (because I'm usually broke) but I'm tired of having to re-apply over and over again.  My lips are very pale, which means when I don't wear color, I look really tired.   Yes, I have not-seriously contemplated tatooing my lips.


Anyway, I was hoping some of you make-up fans could steer me in the direction of a lip color that lasts and won't break the bank.

I have tried Cover Girl's Outlast Lipstain, but found it too drying.

Also have tried L'Oreal's Infallible Lipcoulor, which I do like for the most part.

But I would like to try other as well.  Any help is greatly appreciated!


7 comments:

  1. Have you tried Tarte's Natural Lip Stain? I know it's not cheap, but it was the first thing I thought of when I read this. Sheer, non-drying, and lasts. I HATED the Cover Girl lip stain, it was no better than drawing with a marker. Tarte's is actually more of a pencil, a creamy one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It took me a while to get the hang of them, but I'm a huge fan of Max Factor's Lipfinity. (And also a cheapskate, as well as broke! ;-) ) So long as you make sure to exfoliate your lips and apply a good lip balm that sits while you do the rest of your face, then blot off the lip balm, apply color and let it dry. Forget the dinky gloss thing that comes with it, and apply your favorite lip gloss. That's what I do, and unless I go on a cream puff binge, it lasts all day!

    Channeling Theda Bara - how cool is that? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie, thanks for the suggestion - I have never heard of that brand. And yes, Cover Girl's lipstain is exactly like a marker; dry and scratchy!

    Tarl, I'm going to give that one a try - thannk you! heheee, I was such a goof when I was younger! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. e-mail me darlin' , I have some high end stuff to send you , just cuz you're you !
    I have Cle de Peau in a dark berry shade , tried only a couple of times . You will love it !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your vampy Theda look!What an icon she was!
    Lipstains typically dry my lips out. But, I love the look. Years ago, Borghese made an amazing one but that doesn't help you!
    Here's my suggestion, go for matte. Revlon Matte Lipstick is awesome (and cheap). It's highly pigmented and survives cups of tea, coffee, and even taqueria lunches. They have been the longest wearing lipsticks that I have ever worn. I never have to touch up the reds. If you want a "deeper but natural" lip color, go for Mauve It Over...and if you want to play Theda again go for Wine Not ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Eau! I haven't tried that version of Revlon - I mainly used Revlon ( or Avon ) lipstick for years; but never the Revlon Matte. Off I go to the drugstore!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.