Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy 2011: Bvlgari "Omnia" and Bois 1920 "Sushi Imperiale"

Oh the New Year!  We rarely venture out for New Year's Eve and this year was no different.  The Moth and I stayed in our pajamas all day long, and streamed Netflix videos (horror movies mostly) using the new blu-ray player my son got us for Christmas. But if I stay up until midnight on December 31st, I will bang pots and pans together to welcome the new year in from our porch.  This is a family tradition, and when my son was growing up he seemed to enjoy it too.  But last night, I was in bed at 10:00 pm.  I'm in the midst of re-reading all the "Little House" books which I try to re-read every winter.  Those books help me to remind me that I am indeed very fortunate and to look to the little things in life for joy.

 I wonder if LIW would have liked Sushi Imperiale?

I must admit though that I mostly feel New Year-ish on the Winter Solstice but in the spirit of this holiday, I will say that I have truly enjoyed blogging and reading your blogs, and getting to know some of you folks better through swaps and emails.  What a delight to find like-minded folks throughout the world.  Thank you all so much!!


A few posts ago, I asked for help finding a ginger perfume.  What wonderful responses I received from you.  I received a sample of Omnia from Olenska at Parfumieren (thank you!!!)  and also purchased a sample of Sushi Imperiale from Luckyscent (I promised myself that I wouldn't purchase any more samples until I sniffed and noted all the ones I haven't reviewed yet - but I'm a weak-willed woman)

Unfortunately the first thing I get from Omnia is an alcoholy-hairspray scent with the slightest hint of ginger. It super-quickly fades away to, well, nothing. But then after 10 minutes or so, it pops back up and blooms to a soft and pleasant fragrance.  In this review from Robin at NST, she mentions that some people cannot detect the musk note in it.  I'm bummed because I was really hoping to understand and love this one. To me, it's very pleasant, but not much else.  Sigh.

Now, Sushi Imperiale.  What a fragrance! On the website of Luckyscent : notes of  citrus, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, Madagascan vanilla.   This juice makes me smile! I believe ChickenFreak said the same think about it - read her review here  . Though no ginger is mentioned, it sure does seem like it is in there.  I wish I had a larger spray sample of this - I really want to slather it on, as it's just perfect for this time of year and this weather.  I still am on a search for a pure ginger and have a long list of samples to purchase, but I do have to remind myself again to test all my un-tested samples first!

Hoping that everyone is having a wonderful first day of 2011! 

21 comments:

  1. Awww, too bad for Omnia. You know how sometimes a perfectly worthy scent strikes one person the wrong way, but another person *gets* it? That's what I hoped would happen.... but I guess it wasn't just me, and it wasn't meant to be.

    The more I spray (rather than dab) Chimere, the more I like it, and the more I think it may fit the bill, ginger-wise. If I'm wrong, then I'm two for two. Third strike means exile! :D

    RE: Sushi Imperiale - every time I read ChickenFreak's praise of it, I say "Hmm" a little louder. Your review made the volume on that "Hmm" go up even further. I may have to add this one to my wishlist at last!

    Happy New Year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about hoping someone other than yourself can enjoy a perfume you don't - but it IS cool we both don't think it's much!

    Looking forward to hearing what you think of SI when you get a sample.

    Back to Netflix watching - I swear we're watching every B rated horror flick on the site!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, bummer with Omnia. This is one of my favorite "mainstream" scents. It wears perfectly on me.
    I've recently discovered Sushi Imperiale too. Like you said, no ginger is listed but it has a "gingery" feel. I am so happy that I've tried it. I would love a full-size bottle. It is a wonderful fragrance! It suits my mood right now, but I think it will work in summer too.
    I know you have a list of things to try, but I do like the natural and "fresh" ginger feel of Jo Wood Usiku.
    You sound like my husband and me. We're B film fans. Why bother with "good" movies?
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! Sushisushisushi!

    Yes, I am perfectly sober. Why do you ask?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep hearing great things about Sushi Imperiale, I am being inexorably drawn to it and must give in. I also, am a weak-willed woman.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You probably know, Ginger tea from fresh ginger is like drinking brandy and will cure just about anything, and the scent will waft through the house and act as a great mood elevator. Just in case you don't know, take a ginger root, cut into small pieces, put into boiling water and simmer for 20 minutes. One of the best things on earth.

    Your site is so rich and strange in the most satisfying way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love to re-read Laura Ingalls Wilder's books . We re-read The Holly and the Ivy by Rumer Godden too. I wish you a happy New year .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad about Omnia! I quite like it - even the dentist office vibe. ChickenFreak has stirred my interest in Sushi Imperiale - I have a sample and swear I will get back to it soon.

    It's been a pleasure to read your blog and also look forward to your comments on mine. Looking forward to more of the same in 2011!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wishing you a very Happy New Year, BF! I don't really need another new perfume sample (I need to review the ones I already have!), but between you and ChickenFreak, it seems that resistance to Sushi Imperiale might be futile. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You bang pots and pans together. Genius. That's the best tradition I've read for new year - ever. What a fantastic tradition. I might get our household to join in this one next year.

    All the best for 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy new year Frida. I hope to read more of your blog in 2011!

    Have you tried Uncle Serge's 5 o'Clock Au Gingembre? I know there are many who don't like it, but I thought it was perfectly fine.

    I've also recently tried DSH's Gingembre and it has both the fresh grated ginger smell and later the dried/candied stem accord, with quite a lot of other stuff as well, but again, I really liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. EauMG - that Jo Wood fragrance is on my 'to get' list. I swear being able to stream Netflix is going to be the blob of me!

    CF: hahaaa! I'm so glad I tried SI - it's sooo good and happy!

    Carrie, I think most of us perfume fanatics are weak willed - strength in numbers, says I! Happy New Year to you too! And look forward to hearing what you have to say about SI.

    Lucy, thanks for the tip about the tea. I bought a bunch of ginger to pickle and I haven't gotten around to it yet. And your complement about my blog was the best thing I heard EVER! Thank you!

    Angela, I need to read that Rumer Godden - the only one I have ever read is "An Episode of Sparrows" I'm currently on "By the Shores of Silver Lake" now!

    Thank you Josephine!! So, what do you think about SI?

    Suzanne, I still cannot get your blog to come up on my feed. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Sigh! Yes, resistance IS futile! ;)

    Jess, next New Year's you all must do the pots and pans thing - kids have such a blast being allowed to make huge noises! LOL Thank you as you were one of the first perfume folks to swap with me!

    Thanks Michael! I have those two on my list too, though I must say the DSH one with the 'fresh grated ginger smell' is really speaking to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy New Year, Frida!

    Wow, slather! I can only dream of how wonderful it must be to be able to slather in sent. Lucky me... I get to enjoy perfume second hand through your posts. Thank you, Frida. Allergies can be such a bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also loved the pot banging ritual - well, as long as you keep the noise down to an acceptable level.

    That DSH scent might well be the one for you - actually I believe she may even have two ginger ones, Michael's one and Indochine #2.

    PG Un Crime Exotique is jolly gingery, but may be too rich, ditto DSH Mahjoun, which is a big slab of sticky ginger cake, but rather overwhelming.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also love Sushi Imperiale. There´s another Omnia i think you shold try if you like Sushi Imperiale. It´s Omnia Granato from Omnia Profumo. It is as beautiful as Sushi Imperiale and i think the drydown is even more lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I bought Omnia for myself 5-6 years ago after sniffing 10-15 different perfumes at the department store counter.

    When I got it home and started wearing I discovered that I couldn't smell it at all! Nothing there. Zero. Which leads me to believe that I probably meant to get a completely different perfume but couldn't tell them apart anymore - that'll teach me.

    Until I realized that I simply couldn't smell Omnia at all I probably managed to suffocate a perfectly nice man that I was dating - I actually bought the perfume for that particular first date - who could probably smell Omnia very well! The romance didn't last long - maybe Omnia was to blame (a-hm.....).

    ReplyDelete
  17. hehee Bonks - we'll keep the noise down! Thanks for the suggestions!

    Parfymen, thanks for stopping by, and I'm adding that Omnia to the list!

    Junelady, I cannot stop giggling re: your romance and Omnia! Sorry!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Giggle all you like, Frida, no harm done in that romance ending! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  19. What I meant to say was: He was nice, I was nice. Together, not so nice ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh and Callie, I didn't reply - hope you have a wonderful New Year!!!

    Junelady - kinda like when a perfume works for some people and not others? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Frida, definitely a case of exactly that ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.