Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Holiday perfume sniff fest with family



Had a wonderful holiday weekend!  Christmas morning my son and his girlfriend came by around 10:00 a.m. - we had lots of great brunch food, and exchanged gifts, and watched "It's a Wonderful Life."

Sunday, the Moth and I went to my mom's where four of my five siblings were in attendance, along with the majority of their families.  Chris was there with his 28 year old son; Diane and 6 of her 10 children (her husband was home ill); Marc with his wife and two daughters; Maria with her husband and their two sons.  (My youngest brother David and his wife and three daughters live in CA so they couldn't make it)

I brought all my perfume - and had a sniff fest!  I went upstairs to the spare bedroom and spread out all my bottles of perfume, then took out some of the samples.  I wanted to gauge what people liked from testing the bottles of perfume first.

Diane joined in - she's looking for a new fragrance but couldn't find exactly what she wanted.  I was giving away my bottle of L'Occitane's Miel and Citron and she gladly re-homed it.   She also wanted a sample of  Hermes Un Jardin apres la Mousson

Her 8 year old daughter was hilarious.  She sniffed some of the perfume bottle tops saying something like 'not enough smell' over and over again until she came upon Miller Harris' Fleur Oriental - so I made her a little spray sample of it!

Another of Diane's daughters, age 5, loved L'Artisan's La Chasse Aux Papillons! She put the sample I made in her pocket (and later on, lost it, so we went on a hunt up in the attic to try to find it - and we did!)

My middle brother Marc loves scent.  He really enjoyed Bond No. 9's Chelsea Flowers and most of the Lutens' line that I own.  So I made him up a sample of CF and gave all of my Lutens samples except for the Queen Rose.

One of Marc's two daughters, age 16, was extremely happy to be sniffing perfumes.  She was immediately drawn to Miller Harris' L'Air de Rien!!!  She also really liked Diptyque's L'Ombre dans L'Eau.  As you may know, these are two of my absolute favorites perfumes!! I also gave her my Tokyo Milk samples.

My other sister Maria stopped in for a moment.  She likes "fresh" scents; so I showed her some Annick Goutals and she liked Ninfeo Mio the best (which is one I cannot wear at all - I should have given it to her as that one doesn't set well with me - but she left the room before I could think of it)

But this was the oddest thing - NO ONE liked the three Tauer's that I had them sniff (LdDM, Un Rose Chypree and Un Carillon pour un Ange).  Isn't that weird?

Oh and another thing - my throw-down between Avignon and Cardinal?  I STILL don't know which one I like better!

 Hoping everyone is having a wonderful holiday season!  I'm looking forward to another long weekend as I have this coming Friday off for New Years.

6 comments:

  1. I think Tauers are quite unusual and perhaps need the educated nose of a perfume lover- I think they might have liked them more when they dried down.

    I'm not surprised at all about the little 5 year old like La Chasse- it's so purely feminine and it smells like a beautiful Grace Kelly type lady should- which is what all little girls of that age like- and big girls like me too- I have always admired La Chasse without owning a bottle- perhaps this year will be the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL--look out for the young one proclaiming "not enough smell"! What a fun way to share your passion/hobby; what a fantastic aunt memory you made.

    Tauers can be powerhouses...I'm surprised they didn't pass the 8 year old's test. ;)

    Enjoy your long weekend; wishing you a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Rose! You're right - Tauer's can be a bit difficult to get. And La Chasse - oh you must get a bottle!

    ScSc - heheee, yes, I see a perfume future for her - she didn't sniff the Tauer's though - the bottles weren't on her side of the table. Thank you for your wishes - I'm sure looking forward to 2011! Here's to a wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, the "not enough smell" comment was priceless - not a problem with Fleur Oriental, for sure. In this household I mostly get told that things have "too much smell"!

    I have these impromptu sniff-ins with family and friends from time to time and find them a lot of fun - they have the potential to bring us diehard fumehead types back down to earth in refreshing and unexpected ways. : - )

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an awesome idea. I'm totally having a perfume party now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They sure are fun, Bonks - and it was delightful to see little Y sniffing and then picking out what she wanted as a sample!

    Hello Diana!!!! Love to hear about your perfume party!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.