Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Ormonde Jayne - Tolu

Awhile back, my perfume pal FF gave me a generous sample of Ormonde Jayne's Tolu.  Her husband had been in London and brought her back one of those fabulous sets of samples, and she gifted me Tolu as after a sniff-fest at her home, I liked this one the best.

Given that my life has been in total upheaval lately, I haven't been paying too much attention to new samples and perfumes.  I have worn Tolu a few times, but didn't note what I really enjoy about it, until now.

From their website:

A Peruvian tree resin.

Perfume treasure, this opulent velvety formulation with pure Tolu resin takes you on a sensual Oriental journey. Laced with golden frankincense and amber, the scent's core is enveloped with a heady mix of orange blossom and clary sage, while intense citrus notes consolidate the harmony.

Top:Juniper berry, orange blossom and clary sage
Heart:Orchid, Moroccan rose and muguet
Base:Tolu, tonka bean, golden frankincense and amber

The beauty of this fragrance, to my nose, is that it isn't a super heavy fragrance.  I love 'woody orientals" yet the orchid and rose (I THINK I can decipher those scents!) pop out in such a gorgeous way to keep it from being typical.

photo from


  1. I find Tolu very pretty, but almost too smooth, you know? I keep wanting a little more resin or spice or something. But my husband likes it on me.

  2. Hey KJ - it IS almost too smooth, but there is something in there that pops and keeps me intrigued.

  3. I agree with the "opulent velvety" description, and I do like this scent in winter especially. Though I have to be in the mood for clary sage, which seems quite prominent in the notes to my nose.

  4. Gee... an Oriental journey... it sounds better and cheaper than a vacation. Enjoy!


Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.