Sunday, May 16, 2010

Revisiting L'Ombre dans L'eau and Catholic school

When I sniffed Diptyque's L'Ombre dans L'Eau again, I had another one of those "I know this place."  Could it have been because I already tested it?  I'm not sure, perhaps, but I don't think so, and I'm really intrigued by it.  Here's a lovely review from Perfume Smellin' Things

Then I think of all the samples I sniffed and snorted at, and think maybe if I try it again, they might ring true.  But then I'll be in the same boat as with movies I have already seen or books I have already read...there is just not enough time in one's life for going back very often.

I'm glad I re-sniffed that one, though.

On a semi-hot day last week, I wore Annick Goutal's Encens Flamboyant, which I mentioned before is not very flamboyant but it's, well, it's not annoying to others and very comforting to me.  I like incense.  A LOT!

Then on its heels I tried Comme de Garcons' Avignon.  Oh dear lord in heaven, I adore ye!  And yes, I was raised Catholic - see?
I must purchase a bottle of Avignon by next fall - (though I wish the bottle itself wasn't so bleh looking.)  Here are the notes from luckyscent.com:  Roman chamomile, cistus oil, elemi, incense, vanilla, patchouli, palisander, ambrette seeds.  And a  review from NST

Even though I am no longer a Catholic, and although I'm not happy with some of the things that are done in the name of any religion, I really loved being raised Catholic and going to Catholic school from first to eighth grade (now the all girls' high school I attended is a whole 'nother story).

But the scent isn't just evocative of Mass.  Or maybe it really is, and I'm okay with that.  I need to wear this more to get to the base of it.  In the meantime, I'm pretty darned pleased!

I also tried People of the Labyrinths A*MAZE.   Well.  Hrmmmm.  Perhaps I need to try this again - a little too sweet at first? Not sure -   I think my nose is tuckered out.

*photo - school photograph of me in third grade*

11 comments:

  1. Hi BF! I can relate to this post-I love both Encens Flamboyant and Avignon, but have found EF to be a little too quiet and A a little too loud. It works well for me if I wear them together-one spritz of A and two of EF-it smells heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. well hello SD! So nice that you stopped by, and great idea about putting them together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a cute picture! I totally agree that Avignon is churchy incense and wonder where you stand on Etro Messe de Minuit if you have tried it? That to me is incense plus cold flagstones in the crypt. Heeley Cardinal is cold flagstones in the crypt, incense and a touch of lemon Cif / Jif (used to scrub the flagstones periodically). And then there is Penhaligon's Elixir. This is a dry rosey incense, but definitely on the churchy side of things. I think that could be up your nave too. : - )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven;t tried Avignon--but will now. I was raised Lutheran, so we didn't get anything cool like that. Great suggestions, flittersniffer! I am going to have to sample all of these when I'm in a medieval mood, especially when I am working my way through the dingy manuscripts that are part of my job description.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bonkers! I was a semi-cute Pippi Longstocking-looking kid, that's for sure. I'll definitely be trying some of those - the Etro and Penhaligon's sound truly up my nave! hahahaa

    Hello lBV! I'm looking forward to your reviews when you dip into the incense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. "L'Ombre dans L'Eau" is such a rare thing for me-- a fruity floral that draws me in rather than making my head snap back saying "Noooooo!!!" So fresh, so *crisp.* I'm not sure it smells like "me", but I do love the way it smells...

    Love the photo! What a cutie! You do look happy.

    Never once thought about the connection of scent to religion. Wow. Will ponder...

    P.S. My encrypto-word? "Hindi."

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh love your word! I have a very strong association w/religion and scent. Here's a neat yet nerdy page on incense in the catholic church - even talks about the type of incense used. I want a censer!
    http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/07716a.htm

    Plus I swear the holy water was scented too but I haven't been able to verify that yet. And the annointing oil. Then the smell of the palms being burned (from Palm Sunday) I have some research to do!

    Makes me think that I'm glad I'm not one of those Catholic-hating ex-catholics as I would have a lot of bad associations w/fragrances I love!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blogger ate my comment-- grrr!!
    So, I came back last Monday to mention that right after reading your piece, I attended a solo voice recital by a friend, and incredibly gifted bass-baritone. It took place in an Episcopal Church here in the City, and the smell of the burnt frankincense was *so* heavenly!!!(Pun intended...)
    I never thought about the power of scent to put people into a contemplative state, along with the music and the stained glass. (In my youth, I never attended a fragrant church.)But I just couldn't get enough of that frankincense-- it made me want to go right back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YAY now you know what I mean! Are you gonna try some incense perfumes now?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've actually been an incense fan for a while- Anything with frankincense is fine by me-- Kenzo's UFO-- vanilla & frankincense-- is one of my top 3 all-time favs. And I've been wearing a lot of Chanel "Bois des Iles", which, as powdery as you can stand it, does have this ~dreamy~ smoky/gingerbread incense base.

    No-- what I'm looking into is converting to Catholicism-- but just for the rituals. (This is San Francisco-- I have a like-minded peer set in this. Have you ever checked out the Sisters of Perpetual indulgence? www.thesisters.org. They are *naughty*, but they have a lot of fun with the "bells and the smells" side of the religion.)

    ReplyDelete
  11. LCN I think the main difference w/our likes and dislikes is that (let me know if I am wrong) you tend to like more vanilla/amber in scents than I do. Whereas I like more rose and patchouli than you do.

    Re: Catholicism - I wish I was still Christian in some ways so I could still be Catholic because there ARE some really amazing work being done with some nuns and priests. Those SoPI - hahahaa - I think a friend of mine was involved with them!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.