Friday, April 23, 2010

Samsara, Papyrus de Ciane, and Caravelle Epicee

Oh Samsara, why are you so cheap and boring?  There are so many from Guerlain I love, but you are a big miss. 



Parfumerie Generale's Papyrus de Ciane - notes from LuckyScent.com - bergamot, galbanum, neroli, broom, solar notes, lavender, mugwort, clove, incense, cistus labadanum, hedione, vetiver, Mousse de Saxe, Silvanone, white musk.

This is a most intriguing scent - it's green yet it's musky. It's two!two! two scents in one (not quite but it does stretch from spring to early fall all in one little vial). I like it - a lot - and will put it on my 'must have' list.

Frapin's Caravelle Epicee - wow, what a surprise!  I thought this would be just caramel and spice, but it's something more.  It's notes (ala luckyscent again) Coriander, nutmeg, hot pepper, pepper, thyme, Gaiac wood, patchouli, amber, tobacco, sandalwood.  I LOVE the coriander in this...it warms me up and keep the 'amber' from being too sweet, and earthy enough to It is definitely going on my list of things to wear in the fall.

Interesting that two of these scents were surprising to me in good ways!

photo from basenotes.net

8 comments:

  1. Payrus de Ciane...I get two in one, too! But since I plan on writing about that, I'm going to hold comment for the moment.

    Samsara...which one did you try? Most recent? What concentration? They can vary a lot. Somewhere in the middle of the continuum are versions which go on screechy, but dry down to a luscious sandalwood. Mmmm, almost luscious...it's a little too active to be a luxuriant sandalwood...it's deep and pretty, though...

    I don't know the Caravelle Epicee. Thanks for your impressions...and, just for the record, I, too, am sneaking in a few hits on things that are really destined for the fall. I think this cool spell is making it possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello SS - I received the sample of Samsara from Signature Scent swap - it's an EDT but I'm not sure which version.

    I'm looking forward to your PdC review!

    The CE is very earthy in that way only coriander can give to a scent - some folks don't like cumin/coriander in their fragrances but I sure do, esp for fall/winter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a chance at about a half dozen PG scents and each one was way, way different from each other and from everything else out there. I recall the Papyrus one distinctly-- I have no idea how real-life papyrus actually smells, but I felt some deep memory sense stir when I smelled it. I didn't fall hard for any of them, but I certainly appreciated how distinctive each one was.

    As for FCE-- embalm me. Cannot. Get. Enough. So warm, so dark, so sticky. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think FCE would be my thing at all but am curious to try the new PG, especially on hearing it is two scents in one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, if there is a person out there who doesn't love CE, I want to know why. :) One of my perfume loves for life I believe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Parfumerie Generale. Love love love. They're my main Full Bottle House. I'm waiting for my Papyrus de Ciane sample to arrive, with tremendous impatience.

    Never tried CE. Adding to list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. see I have been so busy I haven't even replied to you all here! LCN and Ines, I am surprised that I like CE - I normally do not like scents that are too caramel-ish. Bonkers, have you tried pdC yet!? CF, have you received your PdC yet? Looking forward to reading reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have tried PdC just this week, but sadly only on paper, for which I am kicking myself. I was reserving some skin for Harrods, but I never made it there. I did try Bois Naufrage on skin, however, and will be writing about that shortly.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.