Saturday, March 13, 2010

a week or more of sniffs

Monday:  Shalimar - as I drove to work I was thinking that it was the first time I have worn it all day since I started sniffing in earnest...so what notes did I detect?  Shamefully, I couldn't really discern anything specific - perhaps it is because it has such a nostalgic presence in my life.  I'll have to put my Sherlock Holmes hat on and try again.



Tuesday:  Lutens Sa Majeste la Rose - The Queen makes me very very happy, indeed.

Wednesday:  After the death of Daisy, I had to put something on that would bring up my mood, and my first thought was Timbuktu - it did help.

Thursday:  Since I did Shalimar on Monday, I put on Opium on Thursday - ahhh I still love it, and oddly no negative associations popping up from the early 80s (which btw there is a lot about the early 80s that I'd rather not remember, and lots I cannot remember!)

Friday:  I finally took the day off (though I still felt horribly guilty since I have only been at the new job 6 weeks or so - but I had been sick since Sunday and it finally clobbered me).  I didn't put anything on until late at night, when I opened a teeny tiny little package of Lagerfeld's Sun Moon Stars.   A girl I used to know wore it in the early 90s and I guess I bought a bottle then but for the life of me, I have  no idea why. Yeah I know why - because the bottle was cool.  I then, for some reason, sniffed a sample of Lolita Lempicka...and curiously they both smell similar to me.

I had to change my pajamas because even though I washed my wrists, there was scent left on my pj sleeves.

Last week sometime, I also did a very mini-test of two Etat Libre D'Orange perfumes - Jasmin et Cigarette and Putain de Palaces (ooh the skank!). I put some on the Moth and our friend Andrew - they seemed to like Jasmin et Cigarette best.  But I have to do a serious test of these, but I'm kinda afraid to because I don't wanna love two more scents - I'm too broke at the moment!

One last thing - We're watching the movie "Perfume".  Has anyone read the book and/or seen the movie?  I have read the book so I'll see if the movie is as good (or better).


photo from cosmosmagazine.com

7 comments:

  1. Gee, I wish I could wear this stuff. Well, the next best thing is to read about you wearing the perfumes. I love the way a wonderful perfume smell. I wish they liked me.
    Glad you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do feel better - still a LITTLE off but not like I was. Thanks Callie - sometimes I wish I couldn't wear this stuff- I'd have a lot more pocket change! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love a photo/shoe-horn moment. Nice work at getting the Sherlock Holmes photo into your post.

    Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the book. The movie was good but not as good as the written word. I actually have two copies if you would like one I can pop it into the mail. Fabulous read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehee, SS - "photo/shoe horn moment" - love it. And yes, I'm getting lots better! Thank you.

    Missy, I have read it -thanks though for your generous offer. I actually liked them both - I didn't like in the movie that they fudged over the reason for wanting the girl, and I did like in the movie that they left the whole part of him being in that other city. Plus wasn't he supposed to be ugly? He sure wasn't in the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Frida , my daughter is a huge Shalimar fan and last year she took a deep breath in and bought the parfum. well , sadly its not like it used to be when I wore it in the early 80's but the EDP and EDT is still good!! Strange , I know! So, was your Shalimar in the sadly changed Parfum form?
    I must say that I think Fragonards Rive Indian is so like Shalimar but... BETTER! Thats me though.
    I feel the same way about Lagerfelds Sun,Moon , Stars --- a scrubber! I loved his Chole - now that was a wonderful scent. The new one out now is rubbish I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I bought the Special Edition and it's EDP!! I cannot detect much of a change.

    Yep, SMS is definitely a scrubber.

    I'll have to try Rive Indian (jots down on 'to try' list)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.