Sunday, March 7, 2010

It's a DelRae day

After reading these intriguing posts by Left Coast Nose about Parfums DelRae's Amoureuse and  Bois de Paradis, I had to order samples to find out what I was missing.

I have sniffed them both a couple of times, and immediately I was drawn to Bois de Paradis. The cedar pulls me in and keeps me.  There was something there that reminds me of the 70s and I cannot quite put my finger on it. Is it the honey with the woods? It will come to me, one of these days.

Then today, I took a better look at Amoureuse.  The tuberose at first is a little off-putting to me but as LCN writes :

"Tuberose and oakmoss—those are big, challenging, opinionated smells going at one another. But the results are a symphony."

Oakmoss is not a challenge to me - just about everything I have sniffed that includes it, I usually like.  What I specifically like about Amoureuse is when the jasmine pops up.  The duet of jasmine and oakmoss is incredible! (gosh aren't I talking fancy-like!)

These are both very elegant fragrances - I thought at first test that they were TOO elegant for me to appreciate.  But I think I am able to.  And to tell you the truth, I cannot tell you which one I prefer - they are both stunning.

Thanks LCN!  I would have even known to try these beauties if it wasn't for you!


photo from www.sweetlyyou.com

4 comments:

  1. Bois de Paradis was just awwwwwwful on me. Surprising, since I generally do well with cedar - the topnotes were a combination of turpentine and toothpaste, and then berries and sugary amber. Bleah.

    I STILL have not tried my sample of Amoureuse, but I think I'm going to love it. Maybe this afternoon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmmmwah! You're welcome!!

    Oh, and please. *Everyone* loves "Amoureuse"!! And anything I love, Mals can't stand!! (Pssst... Malls.... "Turpintine & toothpaste"!?!??! Let's take this outside...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Mals on Bois de Paradis, broadly speaking, give or take the toothpaste. Sweet fruit offset by rasping woodiness. It was potent and heady, with a slightly medicinal quality like a berry flavoured Vicks Sinex.

    Now Amoureuse on my skin was one of the worst scent experiences of my two year career - sticky honey spices and sweetly sour, raging white flower indoles that induced a migraine in minutes.

    I am sorry, all, but I am a delicate flower who would so much rather not be.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.