Monday, January 18, 2010

Opium, Mitsouko, Shalimar

Opium (YSL), Mitsouko and Shalimar (Guerlain) are three of my favourite perfumes.  One of the reasons I started of my perfume journey is because I need to expand my horizons with regard to scents, especially to learn and appreciate the floral and fruity ones.

Although of course I had to get this special edition bottle of Shalimar.  And I have just spent an hour searching on line because I know I have seen (in my Gramma F's house?) a round bottle of Shalimar, and low and behold, I did find reference to it at fragrantica.com.  Thank goodness I'm not losing my mind!  (check out this page to see it!)


5 comments:

  1. I love Opium a lot (on other people.) M & S both "blow up" on me (at least in the formulations I've tried) going straight to smells of burning rubber or plastic. SUCH a pity. I think a run-in with Shalimar sometime in my early twenties made me afraid of fancy perfume for a loooong time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what makes something 'blow up' on a person I wonder? Shalimar = my grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Eating too much meat, maybe? ;) I try not to take it too personally...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah. So your grandmother smelled of Shalimar. Clears that up. (Just curious - what did your mother smell of?)

    It took me a looong time to appreciate Shalimar - trying it in vtg pdt did the trick. I still don't like Mitsy, although I think I "get" her now. But Opium? Quoth the raven, Nevermore. NOt for me. Too much bad history.

    Have you tried Kenzo Jungle L'Elephant? I always wonder what it smells like to a real Opium-lover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Mals! My dad's mom (a nightclub singer at one point in her life) wore Shalimar. Her mother (british) wore rose water and some lavender scent. My mom - actually I asked her what she used to wear before her too-many-year use of "Beautiful" but she doesn't remember nor do I - she always wore perfume on Sundays going to church, and on special outings. Dad on the other hand - that last thing he used to wear was Aramais!

    I'm not a fan of Beautiful, btw.

    Oh and I really like Jungle L'Elephant - a LOT. The clove/licorice/vanilla mix and flow so nicely that they just make me feel warm and good all over. In fact I was able to find a little mini on Fragrance.net for 10 bucks. Whoot!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.